Friday, October 31, 2008

Surgery Today.

This is Kristy. It has been awhile since I have been able to write, but tonight I am home and just trying to catch up.

Today Samuel had his trach inserted. The surgery went very smooth. It is a relatively easy surgery with little complication. The surgeon also did a thorough look into Samuel's oral/nasal anatomy. She said it was very interesting...nothing that she had seen before. There is a cleft in the hard palate and in the soft palate, as well as the tongue, and top and bottom lip. Also there may be a bony stucture in the nasal cavity-so there is no connection between the nasal passage and the throat. Jeff is a lot better at explaining these things, so if he has time he can update the blog. Otherwise, Samuel is stable.

Although Samuel is well, we still have a long unknown road ahead. So many things the doctors are unsure. Samuel is our miracle baby. I think he is a miracle baby to so many others as well-especially the doctors. I still vividly remember sitting with the perinatalogist and hearing him say the words, "no hope". Well, Samuel has proved him wrong. Technology is not always accurate. And our God is much bigger than any technology.

God has continued to amaze me through our circumstance. God has been seen in so many ways. God has been using this situation for his glory-already. I don't know what the future looks like, but I know God has shared this amazing little boy with us to glorify Him. And as I see God work, I also see Satan work-trying to get a foothold on something, anything. Please pray for us and that we remain strong. Jeff and I definitely need prayer for the decisions we make daily. A slight communication error between us and Satan starts attacking. Just pray that we can be aware and remain as one knit tightly together. That we are sensitive to each other's reactions. Emotions are high, we are sleep deprived-perfect weapons for the enemy. We also need prayer for our other little boy Dawson. I can't imagine how confused he is. I know he can only comprehend so much, but he sees our pain, our anger, our fear. Not to mention his world has been turned upside down. Family in and out, routine-not so much, and a new baby brother. Dawson has been a little trooper-we just need to figure out how to make his life as normal as we can, but still helping him to understand our new life ahead of us. Also, pray for Samuel's brain to grow. At this point we are very unsure of how much brain tissue he actually has...but we know it is not a lot. I pray that his brain will grow...I believe in miracles.

Thank you everyone for your continued prayers and support. Our God is a good God! I know when my family has all left we will definitely need you all more than ever. Thank you.

FYI: We are at Memorial Hospital. We are more than glad to have visitors and to show off our little boy. We can't have our phones on in the hospital, but if you stop by and go to NICU, they will contact us to come out. Jeff or myself are usually at the hospital. Also, I will try to post new pictures soon. We can finally see little Samuel's face-no tubes and tape on his face, and his head is so much smaller.

7 comments:

jenna said...

Kristy, you have so many girls in Lexington praying for you and your family! I am so excited to hear how things are going! I wish I could be there with you so badly. Give baby Samuel and Dawson a kiss from me! I love you so much! Our God is amazing.. thank you for showing me that in so many ways :)

Allyson said...

Kristy - I don't know you but someone asked the Wed. night bible study at FBCOcala to pray for you, Jeff and your boys 2 Wed. ago. I logged on and read and read and read. I am praying for your Samuel and for God's name to continue to get the glory. Your story and Samuel's is so HOPE-FILLED. Thank you for sharing it with the world and for letting total strangers come along side and pray!

Jocelyn said...

i too, do not know your family but shelley asked us to pray for you and i have been following your blog and lifting your family in prayer. May our God continue to show favor upon you and hold you in His arms as you take this journey. your faith is inspiring.

Unknown said...

I miss you this week. I can't wait to see you guys. Glad things are good right now, and i'm praying for that to continue. love you sista. :-) kyra

Anonymous said...

I don't know you personally I just stumbled across your blog and read it often. I have been praying for your family and newborn son. I am so glad to hear that things are better than predicted. Just wanted to let you know even people you don't know are here for you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristy! I am so happy that Samuel is doing better. We are all still praying for him and all of you. Take care and know that we all love you guys!

Michelle said...

Your entire family is always in mine and Brad's prayers! I so wish I was in town because I would be there in a heartbeat to come see little baby samuel!! It will have to wait until I get back though. Onto a subject I know you aren't thinking about but I wanted to say it while I had the chance. Happy Early Birthday!!!