Friday, September 5, 2008

Visit with Neonatologist

On thursday, we met with the neonatologist. We weren't really sure what to expect when meeting her, but I think we were hoping for something (even though I am not really sure what that something was). Well, she didn't have much to tell us except "I can tell you when I meet Samuel". Gee, thanks. So, you are saying you don't know. Again, I guess it wasn't surprising, but .... There were a couple good things that came out of our conversation with her. Firstly, I have to admit she was super nice. When I asked her if she had dealt with a baby with similar anomalities, she assured us she had (Encouraging!). When I asked the outcome, she said she saw it both ways-as in the baby not making it and then the baby surviving. She also said that technology is not perfect and that doctors have been wrong. She said sometimes the outcome is worse than we may expect, but sometimes it was better. I think she has been the only person to give us some sliver of hope...that maybe Samuel has some chance (maybe small, but some). I don't feel like she was misleading us or giving us false hope, just letting us know that she has seen it both ways and that ultimately we will know when we meet Samuel. It was also encouraging to know that she will be ready for us and will be there when Samuel is delivered. Once Samuel is delivered-she takes over. Again, we won't know what type of care he will need until then. But, we can think of maybe some things we may want for Samuel and some things we may not want for Samuel. I guess we will just cross that bridge when it comes, but we really can't decide now... So, for now, we will just try to enjoy the pregnancy and love on Samuel.

I hope soon to put new pictures up. I am still figuring out this blog thing.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

It is wonderful to be able to know what is going on with you girl! I am praying for you and your family and can't wait to see you.

Unknown said...

I like this doctor too. She sounds smart and competent. I know this is so hard every day and I can't imagine how you and Jeff feel. I am sorry. I hope you know how much you are loved and how earnestly people are praying for your family. Little Samuel is a blessing. I love you, Aunt Lisa.

Steve and Karen said...

Thank you so much for sharing so much of yourself with all of us. I don't think you'll know how often you are thought about..even by people who have only had the privilege of knowing you a brief time. You and your family are in my thoughts daily and my prayers every night. God Bless you all!!!

Karen, ultrasound tech